Corned Beef and Vegetables
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 potatoes, cut in 2-inch chunks
- 1 (1.75pound) corned beef,* cut to fit if necessary
- 1 onion, chunked
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 head cabbage, cut into wedges
- 1 bunch asparagus
- salt and pepper to taste
In a 4-quart slow cooker, combine all ingredients except cabbage and asparagus. Cover and cook 2 hours on high. Layer cabbage, then asparagus, sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper, cook about 2 more hours on high. Remove asparagus and place on a platter, remove the corned beef and remaining vegetables and place on a separate platter, or serve directly from the slow cooker. Serves 3-4.
*The corned beef is already seasoned, so additional seasonings are not necessary.
Fun for the kids:
Green up the day! Add a touch green to everything!
- Make pistachio pudding or vanilla pudding with a couple drops of green food coloring
- Make green jello
- Add green food coloring to milk
- Treat the kids with mint chocolate chip ice cream or green milk shakes
- Give the above fun names such as: Leprechaun Pudding, Shamrock Jello, Lucky Milk, Blarney Stone Ice Cream/Shakes
- Add naturally green veggies to your meal such as: asparagus, broccoli, leafy green salad, avacado...the list goes on and on!
These are just a few ideas to make the day a little bit more memorable! FYI: a small amount of food coloring can go a long way.