2 tablespoons olive oil
1 beef brisket
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
4 cups beef stock
2 tablespoons pickling spice
Creamy Mustard Sauce
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon horseradish
2 teaspoons pickling spice
2 1/2 cups thinly sliced, unpeeled Granny Smith apples
2 cups slivered red onions
6 cups thinly sliced shredded red cabbage
3/4 cup beef stock
1/3 cup packed brown sugar (or brown rice syrup, molasses, or maple syrup)
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Place beef brisket in skillet; brown evenly. Remove brisket from skillet; season with salt and pepper.
- Place beef stock, pickling spice, and brisket in ovenproof stockpot or Dutch oven. Cover tightly and cook in 325 degree oven 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until brisket is fork-tender.
- While brisket is cooking, prepare Creamy Mustard Sauce and Red Cabbage. For Creamy Mustard Sauce, combine ingredients in a small bowl; cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- For Red Cabbage, cut double thickness of cheesecloth* into a 5-inch square. Place pickling spice in center of cheesecloth; gather edges and tie closed with a piece of kitchen string, forming a small bag. In same skillet used to brown brisket, combine apples and onions. Cover and cook over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until onions are tender, stirring occasionally. Add cabbage, beef stock, sugar or syrup, vinegar, and pickling spice bag; stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 25 to 28 minutes or until cabbage is tender and begins to caramelize, stirring occasionally. Remove spice bag. Season with salt and pepper; keep warm.
- Remove brisket from stockpot; keep warm. Strain out and discard solids. Set cooking liquid aside.
- Carve brisket diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Spoon cooking liquid over brisket for serving. Serve with cabbage mixture and mustard sauce. Serves 6 to 8.
- Adapted from The Healthy Beef Cookbook